• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • As we have now upgraded the main XenForo community, this forum is now being retired. It will remain open in a mostly read only state. Any further feedback, suggestions or bug reports should be posted on the main forum. We will still process the existing bug reports from this forum.

When we approach a stable release, this forum will become inaccessible. If there is any content you wish to save, please do so before then.

XenForo 2.0.0 Developer Preview 10 Released

looks like that sticky-scrolling didn't workout well and removed?
with not much fuss Floating Avatar part of it should be kept,keeping author along the whole scroll in posts.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
Staff member
It will be back in the future, but likely a post 2.0 thing right now.

There's a number of interactions between it and other elements that weren't quite working how we'd hoped and although they aren't insurmountable we'll tackle them when we have more time.

Sami

looks like that sticky-scrolling didn't workout well and removed?
with not much fuss Floating Avatar part of it should be kept,keeping author along the whole scroll in posts.
It will be back in the future, but likely a post 2.0 thing right now.

There's a number of interactions between it and other elements that weren't quite working how we'd hoped and although they aren't insurmountable we'll tackle them when we have more time.

My feedback on the sticky-scrolly avatar is that I think it's distracting when you scroll. There is little chance anyone will start reading a post and forget who started it, or care, and that is offset by everyone using the forum having the page respond strangely when they scroll. I really like the idea of it, but I think in practice it's too annoying. Please make it an option to turn it off, if you do release it as a feature.

CyberAP

Sticky feature is very useful on large posts, as @Kier has previously stated and I completely agree. So detecting post height and comparing it to the viewport height seems like a fine solution for that. IntersectionObserver can help executing that job only on visible posts (though it needs some testing whether it is more effective to calculate on scroll or on page load).

Please make it an option to turn it off, if you do release it as a feature
as you can see from the post of Kier is already possible to disable it.

I was inspired by KS and I released "Elavatar" (unmaintained) on xenforo.com some years ago, they had avatars floating in the past on their App and now they have disabled it (I don't know why).

The userinfo column is empty for long posts so I think is useful to have it floating to remember who is the poster that written what we are reading.